- 2 x puff pastry rolls
- 7 x 1912 Artisan Stilton
- 1 egg
- Bunch of red grapes
- 1 packet of pecans
- 1 pomegranate
Look no further for your table attraction than our recipe for this spectacular crown-inspired pastry.
1912 Artisan Stilton® is a Stilton like no other.
We take you on a journey from pure creaminess to intense tanginess, with layers of flavour in every glorious crumbling bite – it truly is the King of British cheese.
1. Grate 1 wedge of 1912 Artisan Stilton.
2. Spread out the puff pastry and sprinkle one half of the pastry (lengthways) with the grated 1912 cheese. Fold over the pastry (lengthways) and press down so that it is securely stuck together. Cut in half lengthways so you are left with two wide strips and then cut them in half again so you are left with 4 strips. Repeat with the other puff pastry.
3. Pick up the strips of pastry and rotate from each end until you have a lovely twist all the way down. Repeat for all the strips.
4. Line a baking tray with some greaseproof paper. Use a large upturned pyrex oven proof bowl onto the lined tray.
5. Tear 4 large pieces of tin foil. Mould each piece into a ball that can sit on top of the pyrex bowl, (see video). You’re creating the base for the pastry to sit on to look as close to a crown as possible.
6. Cut a small piece of greaseproof to go on top the tinfoil pyrex bowl so the pastry doesn’t stick.
7. Grab a strip of pastry and lay it over the top of the bowl so either side reaches the bottom of the bowl. You want to create a cross on top, so grab another strip and lay over the top of the other strip. Push down the pastry in the middle where the two pastry strip lay on top of each other.
8. Get another strip of pastry and lay it around the base of the bowl. Get another strip and lay it on the other side of the bowl so that they two pastry strip meet and you have a circle. Press together so that they join securely. Repeat with another two pastry strips that goes on top, so it’s a double layer. You’ll have a few strips left over, just pop those around the empty space on the tray.
9. With a whisk, egg brush the pastry all over.
10. Pop the tray with your crown into a preheated oven 180c for 30 minutes or until golden brown and nicely risen.
11. Once cooked get out the oven and let it cool. Once cool then separate the crown from the bowl.
12, With your remaining 6 x 1912 Artisan Stilton cheese, place onto a tray or chopping board (whatever you have that is big enough) and lay your crown of pastry over it!
13. Now time to adorn your crown with pecans around the base of the crown. Red grapes on top of the cheese and pomegranate jewels all over the crown. And enjoy!